Thursday, November 25, 2010

November garden-brussel sprouts

 I've been pretty busy in the garden this week.  Repairs needed to be done, replacing many weathered and bygone boards and making new raised beds for next season.  All the existing raised beds have been composted and the perennial beds mulched. The farmers' almanac is predicting  an accumulative snowy winter this year for us here in the east, and though we seldom see the inch amounts  as the inlanders do, it's just better practice to be safe than sorry--so I mulch heavily.




So the garden is nearly empty now :( The deer snacked on my brussel sprout foliage, but most of the sprouts are still intact.  Sprouts in our neck of the woods seems to be prolific growers--with little or no care at all.  Last year I was still harvesting on January 4th, but that was the last of them that day.

This year I will be trying something new.  I am harvesting the entire stalks and hanging them in cool storeage to see how much longer I can extend them, until I'm ready to use them.  Though I have to admit, it's kind of neat (though very chilly) harvesting the sprouts from under a blanket of snow too!

The parsnips I planted a few weeks back are doing so well. I'll be curious to see how they fare the winters up here as well as give me something to look forward to come March in the garden besides the cleanup :). The kales--hardy as ever. I just love that they last so long in the garden. They will go into my soups throughout most of the winter and so healthy for you too!

With mixed emotions { because I really hate saying goodbye to the garden each year} I sadly pulled the last of my carrots and purple top turnips this week to grace my Thanksgiving dinner table today.  I don't know how the voles missed these last three rows--but thrilled they missed them!

The forecasters are calling for our first ice storm of the season later today and into tomorrow, so I'm really happy to have finished my tasks up this week in the garden.  My pies are all baked, Tom is roasting in the oven, most of my side dishes readied to be cooked.  Now, I am heading out for my daily walk, before the children arrive.  I'm glad we won't be doing any traveling this holiday.  It's been a long and fruitful season all in all.  I'm so very grateful for our many abundances this year. Enjoy the simple pleasures this holiday will bring–sweet surprises, safe travel and joyful journeys along with together times… Thanksgiving.. a time to be thankful for all the abundances in our lives.  Wishing you a Thanksgiving filled with all the blessings of the season. Til next thyme..

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers, but if I don't get right back to you--I'm either in the garden, weeding or in the kitchen cooking!